Model-based systems engineering (MBSE) is the formalized application of modeling to support systems requirements, design, analysis, verification and validation, beginning in the conceptual design phase and continuing throughout development and later life cycle phases.
MagicDraw SysML is the most complete standards compliant solution, providing support for OMG SysML™ 1.3 - standards based system engineering.
SysML is a precise language, including support for constraints and parametric analysis, which allows models to be analyzed and simulated, greatly improving the value of the systems model, compared to textual system descriptions.
MBSE enhances the ability to capture, analyze, share and manage the information associated with the complete specification of a product, resulting in the following benefits:
- Improved communications among the development stakeholders (e.g. the customer, program management, systems engineers, hardware and software developers, testers and specialty engineering disciplines).
- Increased ability to manage system complexity by enabling a system model to be viewed from multiple perspectives, and to analyze the impact of changes.
- Improved product quality by providing an unambiguous and precise model of the system that can be evaluated for consistency, correctness and completeness.
- Enhanced knowledge capture and reuse of the information by capturing information in more standardized ways and leveraging built-in abstraction mechanisms inherent in model driven approaches. This in turn can result in reduced cycle time and lower maintenance costs to modify the design.
- Improved ability to teach and learn systems engineering fundamentals by providing a clear and unambiguous representation of the concepts.