NOTE. On this page all of the following tools will be referred as modeling platform: MagicDraw, Cameo Enterprise Architecture, Cameo Business Modeler, and Cameo Systems Modeler.
The product license is identified by the license key. The license key is a license key file: *.lic or *.txt. After downloading the product, the license key file is emailed to your email address.
These are the following license types:
- Demo - When you download a product demo version, the demo key will be sent to you automatically by email (to the email address that you provided when registering to www.nomagic.com).
- Evaluation - If you already have installs and need a full evaluation key for a temporary license, please contact your assigned sales executive.
NOTE. After installing the plugin, it has the evaluation license type applied, which allows using the plugin for 7 days before the activation is requested.
- Commercial – purchased license that requires activation.
- Commercial with expiration – If you purchase the product by using the “purchase order” method (with the delayed payment), you will receive the commercial license key with the concrete expiration date.
Information about installed or needed licenses and the status is represented in the About dialog:
- Start the modeling platform.
- From the Help menu, select About <Modeling platform> and then in the About dialog, click the Licensing tab.
In the following table, see the description of the About dialog, the Licenses tab.
|User Profile ID||Please provide your User Profile ID when contacting support or sales.|
|The "Not installed" text is displayed next to the plugin name, if the license is applied, but the plugin is not installed yet.|
|The "Not started" text is displayed next to the plugin name, if the license is applied, but the plugin startup failed.|
You may remove licenses of not installed plugins.
- Start the modeling platform.
- From the Help menu, select About <Modeling platform> and then in the About dialog, click to open the Licensing tab.
- Click the Remove Unused Licenses button in the Licensing tab.
The commercial license activation is required after the purchase transaction has been completed. The activation process allows receiving the commercial license dedicated for the particular computer. Online and offline activation is available.
- Only commercial activated licenses are locked to the particular computer.
- During the activation process, identification and registration is required.
- Commercial not activated keys allow using the software for 7 days according to obtained licenses, before requesting activation. License keys that are not yet activated are used to identificy the account that made the purchase.
To start the activation process:
- From the Help menu of the modeling platform, select License Manager.
- In the License Manager dialog, click the Activate button.
- Proceed with the particular product activation.
- Choose online activation and enable commercial activated licenses automatically.
Alternatively, you may select offline activation and get the Host ID, enter it in the license owner account (login to www.nomagic.com and click to open the Licenses and then the Activation tab) and then download the activated license.
For activation instructions of a particular product, refer to the links below:
- Login to the license owner account on www.nomagic.com.
- Click to open the Licenses tab, and then the Activation tab.
- Under the Activation Records table, click the Create License Activation button (the button is active only if your account owns the licenses), and then enter the user details, Host ID of the computer, and select products licenses, which will be activated for this computer. Download the key file or send the key file to your email.
2.3.1. Commercial not activated license
A not activated license is used only to determine the account on www.nomagic.com and allows use of the software for 7 days according to obtained licenses, before requesting the activation.
After the completion of the purchase transaction, you will receive commercial not activated keys. They are used ONLY to determine the account on www.nomagic.com from which activated keys should be requested. Any other license, evaluation, demo, or commercial can be used for identification of the license owner account during activation.
Commercial not activated license requires activation. You may choose online or offline activation.
After the online activation, commercial activated license will be applied automatically and you will be able to use the software on the particular computer.
During the offline activation you will be required to enter a Host ID in the license owner account. You can then download the commercial activated license and select it from the software.
2.3.2. Commercial activated license
An activated license is the license locked to the particular computer.
A Host ID is the value of a specific system attribute (MAC / Ethernet address) that uniquely identifies the host / computer under which the software is running. A Host ID is used for the activated license locked to a particular computer license.
For the Host ID determining instructions of the particular product refer to the following links:
One of the ways to determine Ethernet address (Host ID) is to use lmhostid utility. This is useful to discover the list of Host IDs of multiple computers, even before installing the software itself.
The lmhostid is a command line utility, which prints the Host ID. The lmhostid utility is available as an executable called lmutil. Download it for a particular OS from http://www.globes.com/support/fnp_utilities_download.htm.
Run lmutil with lmhostid parameter from the command line. Lmhostid displays the default hostid for the current platform.
For exact commands for specific OS refer to: License Administration Guide (Obtaining System Hostids)
NOTE. If two or more Ethernet addresses are available on the particular computer, the first one printed by the hostid command should be used.
To determine a license owner, the user identification is requested during activation process. Identification is requested only if you have not added any license key files, have not registered your installation, or have not performed identification.
There are two methods available for the user identification:
- License file based identification. Select the license key file to identify the license owner account. Evaluation, demo, or commercial license files can be used for the identification. Login name based identification.
- Use the license owner login name and password to identify which account on www.nomagic.com your purchases are connected to.
Once identification is performed, it will not be required during the next activation.
For the identification instructions of the particular product refer to the following links:
The user registration is required for successful license activation.
The registration allows you to:
- Receive the dedicated customer support for all problems, questions, and suggestions. For more information, see http://www.nomagic.com/support.html#knowlegdebase. Note that Software Assurance is required to be entitled for full customer support.
- Access the dedicated area where you can download products, make your purchases, manage and activate licenses.
- Access early releases and evaluations.
If you are not a registered user, the modeling platform will open the Registration dialog at startup, prompting you to register.
Or if you want to register later:
- Start the modeling platform.
- From the Help menu, select Register. The Registration dialog appears.
- Provide the requested information.
- Share your experience about the tool (optional).
- Click Register when finished.
- When you receive the message that you will receive the email with the confirmation link, click OK.
- In the email, confirm the registration by clicking the link.
2.6.2. Confirming your registration
An email with registration data and a confirmation link will be sent to the email address provided during registration. Click the confirmation link to confirm the registration and finish the process.
The deactivation is the process that returns the activated licenses. You may remove and return all activated (locked to the particular computer) commercial licenses by deactivating them.
For the deactivation instructions of the particular product refer to the following links:
- Do one of the following:
- Start the modeling platform, then from the Help menu, select License Manager, and in the License Manager dialog, click the Deactivate button.
- Uninstall the software.
- Commercial licenses will be deactivated automatically and returned online. If the online license return is not available, licenses will be deactivated and offline deactivation – license return message with License Deactivation ID - will be shown. To update the account information manually, return the used license by entering the License Deactivation ID to the license owner account (login to www.nomagic.com and click to open the Licenses tab and then the Activation tab).
- The software is deactivated and licenses are returned.
License Deactivation ID is treated as the confirmed deactivation and does not decrease an available rehost limit.
You can deactivate licenses not only from software, but also from the License Activation Management window in the license owner account (login to www.nomagic.com and then click to open the Licenses tab and then the Activation tab).
NOTE. The deactivation from the License Activation Management window should be used only if the deactivation from software side is not available: installation has been lost or corrupted.
To deactivate the software without License Deactivation ID from the license owner account:
- Go to www.nomagic.com.
- In the upper-right corner, click the Login button and then login with the license owner account.
- Click the Licenses tab, and then click the Activation tab.
- In the Activated products column, click the Edit button.
- In the Edit Activation window, click to open the Deactivate tab.
- Click to select the license and click the Deactivate Selected button.
- When you receive the message asking if you would like to deactivate the selected licenses, click Yes.
- In the Products available to activate table, under the Rehosts column you will see that the allowed rehost number decreased. For example, if the rehost number is 1 of 2, you will be able to deactivate offline only once.
NOTE. The number of available, not confirmed, deactivations from the License Activation Management window is 1 for each obtained license per year. The Confirmed deactivation from the software side will not decrease the rehost limit.
License Deactivation ID is the unique number generated to identify license deactivation/return from the particular host/computer under which software is running. The License Deactivation ID is used for the license offline deactivation.
To determine License Deactivation ID (for offline deactivation):
- Start the modeling platform.
- From the Help menu, select License Manager.
- In the <Modeling platform> License Manager dialog, click the Deactivate button.
- In the Offline License Deactivation dialog, copy the text from the License Deactivation ID box.
The deactivation confirmation can be received either online, during online deactivation, or offline, with the help of the License Deactivation ID, which is shown during the offline deactivation.
The deactivation from the License Activation Management window without the License Deactivation ID, is treated as NOT confirmed deactivation and decreases the rehost limit. An exception is, if after such a deactivation, automatic confirmation is received from the software side that the license has been also deactivated on the software side.
The rehost limit is the number of available attempts to move license from one computer to another without deactivation confirmation. By default the rehost limit is 1 for the each obtained license per year. The confirmed deactivation case from the software side will not decrease the rehost limit.
If the rehost limit is exceeded you can request an increase from your dedicated account executive by filling out the reason of the request and clicking the Request Rehost Increase button.
To manage your licenses:
- Go to the www.nomagic.com
- In the upper-right corner, click the Login button and then login with the license owner account. Note that you can activate the license only from the license owner account.
- Click the Licenses tab.
In the Licenses tab you can send or download the license key files, activate or deactivate the licenses.
In the following table, see descriptions of the elements in the Licenses > Activation tab.
|The Enable license select during online activation check box||The Enable license select during online activation check box controls the license selection during online activation:|
NOTE. Click to clear the Enable license select during online activation check box if you want to control which licenses will be delivered for which users.
|The Activation Records table||The Installation Status filter drop-down box||The filter allows filtering activation records to Activated, Deactivated or Illegal.|
|The Activated Products column||Displays the list of the end users' data recorded during registration, online, and offline activation.
Click the Edit button, to open the Edit Activation dialog. You can add the new licenses or deactivate the existing.
|The Get Key column||You can download or request to send to your email activated licenses (starting from v16.9) by clicking the Send or Download buttons.|
|The Create License Activation button||Click to create a new offline activation record.|
|The Products available to activate table||
The list of available to activate products shows the list of products that can be activated. The following columns are available:
If the rehost limit is exceeded, you cannot activate the license for this product. However, you can request an extension from your dedicated account executive by filling in the reason of the request and clicking the Request Rehost Increase button.
|The Enter License Deactivation ID box||In the Enter License Deactivation ID box, you can confirm the offline license deactivation by entering License Deactivation ID, which is provided by the software during offline activation. After confirming the deactivation, the license is returned and can be activated on another computer. For more information about the confirmed deactivation, refer to the Deactivating a license in the application section.|
|The Request Rehost Increase box and button||If the rehost limit is exceeded, you can request extension from your dedicated account executive by filling in the reason of the request and clicking the Request Rehost Increase button. For more information, refer to the Rehost limit section.|
- Go to www.nomagic.com
- On the upper-right corner, click the Login button and then login with your account.
- Click to open the Licenses tab, and then the Activation tab.
- The Activation Records table lists all activated licenses.
Moving activated (locked to the particular computer) license from one computer to another is called rehosting.
To rehost a license:
- Deactivate the license on the old installation.
- Install software on the new computer.
- Activate the license on the new installation.
For the instructions of moving the license from one computer to another refer to the following links:
6.1. Is the registration required during activation?
Yes. User registration is required for successful license activation.
6.2. Reasons why license is shown as not activated
- License has been deactivated manually from the license owner account at www.nomagic.com or from the License Manager dialog.
- Not activated license key file has been added.
6.3. During the activation I’m receiving a message that there are no purchases available
There can be several reasons:
- Purchase transaction has not been accomplished yet - products are not paid. The commercial license activation will be needed after the purchase transaction is completed.
- Login name and password used to identify the license owner account points to empty account. Use the license owner’s login name and password for identification.