Nearly 10 years ago, Intrum had started developing its ReCash application to better address cash flow related operations, key processes within the company. Today the application is a competitive differentiator. It was developed in PL/SQL and Oracle Forms, mostly with external resources.
Over time, local process modifications added to the complexity, leading to a large monolithic legacy application where data access and business logic were mixed up, documentation was always out of date, and where the dependency on external resources increased Intrum’s risk and maintenance cost. Hence, the company decided the complete rewrite of ReCash.
The challenge was twofold: firstly, simplifying access to data in a central Oracle database and, secondly, making modifications to the business logic, necessary due to country-specific process requirements, easier to carry out. This had to be implemented, however, without manually extending the PL/SQL code base.
About Intrum Justitia
Intrum Justitia is Europe's leading Credit Management Services (CMS) group, with 2,900 employees in 24 markets. The group offers a wide range of services from credit information to invoicing, reminders, collection, debt surveillance, purchased debt and specialized services related to credit management.
- Direct Model Execution enables unprecedented enterprise agility. Thanks to the E2E Bridge®, we now have a completely clear path from process to application. For the first time ever, business and IT are totally aligned via ONE shared executable blueprint.
- In the past it took IT specialists 5-7days to get familiarized with the application code in order to make meaningful changes. Using the E2E Bridge®, knowledge transfer takes only hours, as with executable UML® models, the documentation IS the code.
Based on the process execution, application runtime an integration possibilities inherent in the E2E Bridge®, Intrum decided to transfer the existing PL/SQL code to executable UML® models. The models describe all processes and business logic clearly, for business and IT alike. Changes can be made directly in which are now both documentation AND code, making frequent changes readily traceable for all stakeholders. By transforming the thoroughly documented process models from ARIS EPC into executable UML® models complete with orchestration, business logic and data integration – and then executing these in real time, Intrum Justitia increased the flexibility of its IT infrastructure substantially, leading to massively improved business agility. Time manual programming was completely eliminated and the ability to take action quickly across the entire company was markedly increased.
Results & Benefits
- 6x efficiency gain for cash flow process, end users proficient in 30 min, not three months
- Legacy modernization effort completed in just 9 months, resulting in future-proof SOA
- ARIS EPC and executable UML models provide shared business and IT blueprint
- Use of standard UML® simplifies re-training for IT specialists to use E2E Bridge®
- 2x application performance for end users, smaller server footprint for runtime infrastructure